Your Wedding Questions
We have created a list of frequently asked questions to help you plan your special day!
Before Booking Your Venue
- Do you offer Exclusivity of Ghyll Manor? We do offer Exclusive Hire of Ghyll Manor for 24 Hours from 11am – 11am the following morning.
- Do we allow ceremony only Weddings?We do on selected dates and subject to availability. Please do get in touch with us and let us know your preferred.
- Do we allow evening receptions only?We certainly do encourage evening receptions with us. Please do let us know more about your special day and we can advise the options.
- If we are getting married in church can we use your venue for the rest of our big day? We would be delighted to host your special day the moments after your special ceremony. Please do get in touch with our coordinators to explore our brochure and options.
- Does Ghyll Manor have special offers or prices?Throughout the year we have selected offers and promotions for wedding days. Please look at the special offers page on the website for more information.
Your Venue Arrangements & Booking Process
- When do I know when to pay deposits? This is itemised in your terms and conditions. Your coordinator will also get in touch to remind you and keep up to date with payments.
- What is the final details meeting? This is a meeting that you have with your coordinators to go through all the details of your special day. We do this 3 months prior to your day to ensure we have most details confirmed and organised prior to your big day, should you not have all the details confirmed this is fine and we ask for this to be confirmed 5 weeks prior to your day.
- When do we have our final detail meeting?This is between 3 Months – 2 Months before your special day. Your coordinator will invite you into talk over all the details, this takes around 1.5hrs. This is where all details, numbers, catering and decorations will be discussed. On this day we will ask you to confirm the following;
- Final Numbers for the day & evening.
- Final timings.
- Any Dietary requirements for any of your guests.
- Your final menu choices.
- Your wine and beverage choices.
- Your set up of the room. For example long top table or round.
- Your table plan with all names in table order.
- Your completed rooming list.
- Supplier contact and telephone numbers along with the time they are arriving.
- When you will be coming along with your collateral to drop off to us.
What is the typical timeline of a wedding day?
- Groom Arrive 1 hour early
- Guests arrive from 30 minutes early
- Ceremony (45 minutes)
- Drinks Reception (1 hour, 30 minutes – 2 hours if ceremony is in the same room as your wedding breakfast)
- Move down to the Hall with receiving line (15-30 minutes – numbers depending)
- B&G announced & all seated (5 minutes)
- Wedding Breakfast to start (Allow 2 Hours for the meal)
- Speeches (Dependant on how many speeches – We advise 30 minutes in total)
- Turnaround of your wedding breakfast room (1 Hour)
- Evening Guests to Arrive (1 hour after the speeches)
- Cutting of the cake (5 minutes)
- First Dance (5 minutes)
- Buffet to be served (1 hour – 2 hours after the evening guests have arrived)
- Do we need to take out wedding insurance?It is always a good idea to consider taking out wedding insurance which can cover you for accidents, your suppliers going out of business or bereavements. We do advise that this could be beneficial to you.
- Who do I contact to book my registrar? Please contact Crawley & West Sussex Registry office to organise your ceremony. Make sure this is confirmed before signing and confirming your venue. This will prevent issues should your registrar not be able to do your specific date and you are signed into a contract. Number: 01243 642122 Website: www.westsussex.gov.uk We ask for a 12:00, 13:00 or 14:00 ceremony time for a full day wedding.
- What time can I book my registrar for? We ask for no later than 14:00 to ensure you get the best out of your day.
- How many songs do I need for the ceremony? Typically you would have a song for the walk in, 3 songs for the signing of the registrar and 1 song for walking out.
- What method can we play music? We can play music through a CD Player, Aux Cable or USB. We do ask for this to be with us the day prior to rehearse and test the music. Always have your songs in order on one playlist.
- When does the Groom Arrive? Typically the groom arrives an hour early to greet guests and ensure he can reserve the front rows from family and the bridal party. At twenty to the hour of your ceremony the Registrar will ask for the Groom to have a talk over the legal requirements. The groom will have this meeting in the ceremony room.
- When does the Bride Arrive? The bride will arrive 15 minutes before the ceremony. We will ensure all guests are in the room before you enter the hotel. At quarter to the hour of your ceremony the Registrar will ask for the Bride to have a talk over the legal requirements. You will sit in the Lounge or a private area to do this.
- What decorations are included? With our classic or Ornate package we include ceremony flowers for the registrar table. This is a green and white arrangement.
- If we are getting married in the summer house, what happens if the weather is bad? A week before your wedding day we will look at the weather forecast and determine whether your ceremony can go ahead outside. Due to your guest’s chairs on the grass we do require 2 dry days to able the ceremony to go ahead outside. Should the weather not be nice we would reserve an inside space room for you, dependant on numbers.
- Are you allowed filming during the ceremony? You are allowed to film and have photographs throughout the ceremony. The legal signing you do ask to refrain from imagery or filming.
Suppliers & Decorations
- Do we have to use your recommended suppliers? No you are welcome to bring in your chosen suppliers, we recommend you do use our suppliers as we trust them and they know the venue so well this will make your day and process even easier to plan with them.
- When can I have access to my wedding breakfast room to set up? This will be from 10am on the morning of your wedding. If the room is available the night before we can certainly prepare for this, however this cannot be guaranteed. Please check with your coordinator if we have an exclusive wedding the night prior to your day, if we do access will be from 11am.
- Is there any restrictions to the decorations of the room? Ghyll Manor Set Up Policy: No nails or screws into our walls/features. Welcome to tie them around the beams and curtains. Any fabric we do ask to be fire resistant. Prior to the arrival we will ask them to sign a disclaimer for working at heights, as mentioned we cannot lend our ladders and we cannot be held responsible for anything. We have also asked for this to be down by 11am following the wedding date due to other events that are taking place the next day.
- What decorations are included? With our Classic or Ornate package we include ceremony flowers for the registrar table. This is a green and white arrangement. This can be moved to your top table.
- What chair options do I have? Included in your package are our brown chairs which are cushioned and are recommended to be covered and sashed. As an upgraded option, you are welcome to use our Chivari chairs at a £1.50 per chair supplement.
- Can we drop off decorations and personal items prior to the wedding day? Please organise this with your coordinator as this does depend on the quantity.
- Who sets up all our collateral, centrepieces, favours, stationary? We ask for your bridal or party or supplier to set this up in the room. Should you be having your ceremony and wedding breakfast in the same room we advise your suppliers and party to arrive during this time to set this up. This will make sure that your collateral is set up perfectly.
- When do we need to ask our supplier to collect all collateral? Please ask then to collect this by 9am. Please confirm with your coordinator as it will depend on events booked the following day at Ghyll Manor. In most cases we ask everything to be collected by 9am latest.
- What stationary is provided? We can provide place cards, menus and table plan for you. This does come in one size, colour and style. Please ask your coordinator for a sample.
- Can we supply our own DJ or Band outside your recommended suppliers? If you are booking your own DJ, Band or Musician, please note that we will require Public Liability Insurance Certificates and Appliance Test Certificates prior to them being permitted to play on Ghyll Manor Hotel Premises. Any electrical equipment must be PAT tested with in standards. This also applies to photobooths and additional entertainment.
- Do we need to provide our suppliers with a meal? This would be dependent on your contract with your supplier. Please do check this to find out if you do need to cater for them. During the wedding breakfast we can provide your main course meal for them at £19.95 (plus supplements for certain meals) or Selection of Finger Sandwiches and Tortilla Crisps for £6.50pp.
- How many people on a table? Maximum on a table is 10 guests.
- Can we bring smoke machines or similar entertainment? No Smoke, Haze or Bubble Machines are permitted within the Hotel.
- Do you have outside heaters? We do not have outside heaters in house. You are welcome to organise a company to bring them in for your day.
- Can you have fireworks? Yes you are welcome to organise fireworks. They do have to be no later than 21:00 and organised through our supplier.
- Does Ghyll Have Garden Games? We do not stock any garden games, however you are welcome to bring your own and set these on our lawns overlooking the lake.
Food & Drink
- When do we have our menu tasting? Typically 3 months prior to your special day. We will invite you in for an individual menu tasting where you get to try x2 full servings of food (x1 each). They will be served as they would be on your wedding day to give you a true representation.
- What are the menu options to choose from for your day? Please refer to your wedding brochure for menu options. We require you to choose a set menu with all your guests having the same dish for each course. Children and dietary requirements we do cater for individually.
- What menu do we provide for the day? We provide a set menu meaning 1 starter choice, 1 sorbet choice (if included in your package), 1 main choice and 1 dessert choice for all your guests to enjoy on the day. Your guests all have the same courses.
- Can we cater for dietary requirements and vegetarians? We do cater for these individually.
- Can we bring in our own caterers? Due to health and safety at Ghyll manor we do not allow outside caterer to come in. If you have something specific in mind please do speak with your coordinator and we may be able to do this in house for you or offer alternative options.
- Do you allow confetti? Yes we do allow confetti, we ask for this to be biodegradable or petals. We do ask for this to be outside.
- Do we provide a cake stand? We can provide a silver cake stand for your day. The measurements are as follows; Square: 40cm or Round: 38.5cm
- What time do you offer an alcohol license & entertainment License until? Our license finishes at midnight, 00:00, this is when all music and entertainment is to close and the bar will close.
- Do you allow corkage, should we wish to bring our own wines, beers or spirits in? As a company we do not allow corkage or alcohol/beverages to be brought onsite.
- How do our guests book rooms? In order for your guests to receive your agreed preferential room rate, we kindly ask that you keep full control of the room allocation and collate your guest’s information into a rooming list and liaise with the Hotel when complete. This will be in your confirmation pack.
- What happens if my guests call the hotel directly? If your guests were to call us to book a rooms we would automatically divert them to the Bride and Groom. The preferential rate that the wedding party has is only if booked through the Bride & Groom so we would always advise them to go to you first.
- Do my guests need to pay a deposit? No all guests are welcome to pay on departure. Any rooms left unpaid or not filled will be liable to the Bride & Groom due to your terms and conditions.
- When is check in & check out? Check in is at 3pm and check out is 11am.
- Can my guests check in early? We cannot guarantee your bedrooms until 3pm, should you have any rooms how would like to get into their rooms early please do let your coordinator know and they can put a priority on their room, we still cannot guarantee the rooms before 3pm but will certainly try to do these rooms as soon as possible.
- Do we have family rooms? We have single and double rooms throughout the hotel, some are larger than others that could fit an extra bed or have a sofa bed. Please speak to your coordinator with your requirements and they can advise you on the best room within the allocation. All additional rooms are subject to availability.
- If I need more rooms than my allocated rooming list how do I organise this? All rooms are subject to availability outside your terms and conditions, so do speak to your coordinator as soon as possible to see the availability and to add additional rooms to your package.
- Is breakfast included? Please do see your terms and conditions which is where this will be shown.
- Where is breakfast held? As a standard we provide breakfast in our restaurant between 07:00-09:30 Monday to Saturday and 08:00-10:00 Sundays. All guests are welcome to come down at their leisure. Should you wish for all guests to come at a certain time you will need to organise a private breakfast, this will be at an additional charge of £120.00 and subject to availability. Please speak with your coordinator.
- What are the maximum capacities for each room for sit down and evening?
Wedding Venue Ceremony Capacity Reception Capacity Terrace Room 10 – 65 10 – 40 Hunsdon Hall 65 – 120 65 – 120(round top table only)
- Do I have to take wedding accommodation? Yes, although there is more flexibility in the off peak months. Please ask your coordinator who will be happy to discuss.